KCER: Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition
Training and Education
There are many options for free or low-cost education and training courses on disaster planning and emergency management. These are just a few options available. You might also consider contacting your local Red Cross chapter or your state emergency management agency for other options.
These free online continuing education courses provide 1.0 continuing education contact hour each. The organization submits to Florida CE Broker, however, these courses are free and available for ANYONE to take and obtain a certificate (check the CE Broker in your state to see if you can obtain continuing education credits). For more information on the courses available, visit http://www.fmqai.com/esrdContinuingEducation.aspx.
- All Hazards I: Identifying and Preparing for Potential Emergencies & Disasters AND All Hazards II: Conditions for Coverage & Emergency Preparedness. This is an exciting opportunity for dialysis providers to fulfill the CMS Conditions for Coverage which outline staff training on disasters.
- *NEW* Caring for ESRD Patients In Disasters. This course is intended to provide a basic understanding of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and end stage renal disease (ESRD), treatments, how to assess ESRD patients in an emergency situation, and additional resources available for healthcare workers
Note: These links will take you to the FMQAI continuing education website. You will be required to create an account in order to take the course and receive any CEUs.
Training about dialysis and disaster basics (for emergency management agencies and community partners), and clinical information (for shelters, special needs coordinators, and healthcare)
- National Hurricane Conference 2009 - Dialysis & Disasters: The ERSD Network Program
- Dialysis and Disasters Presentation
- Dialysis Clinical Presentation
FEMA Independent Study Courses at the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) http://www.training.fema.gov/is
The Emergency Management Institute (EMI) offers online, self-paced courses designed for people who have emergency management responsibilities and the general public. Courses are free-of-charge to those who qualify for enrollment. These courses can provide education on disaster planning, mock disaster exercise planning, and more. Some courses are healthcare-specific, including:
- IS-100.HC: Introduction to the Incident Command System for Healthcare/Hospitals
- IS-197.SP Special Needs Planning Considerations for Service and Support Providers
- IS-200.HC Applying ICS to Healthcare Organizations
- IS-808 Emergency Support Function (ESF) #8 – Public Health and Medical Services
CDC Public Health Training Network
South Central Center for Public Health Preparedness
The Johns Hopkins Center for Public Health Preparedness (JHCPHP)
NC Center for Public Health Preparedness