KCER: Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition
Pediatric Dialysis and Disaster Preparedness for Kids
The Kidney Community Emergency Response (KCER) Coalition hosted a community partner meeting in August 2009 to encourage stakeholders to share issues relating to disaster preparedness relating to nephrology.
One critical area of concern is for the disaster preparedness and response capabilities of pediatric nephrology patients and providers. Pediatric dialysis patients are more limited in finding treatment locations than adult dialysis patients. This limitation drives a greater need for a higher level of disaster preparedness for this population.
The KCER Coalition would like to collect or develop new resource targeting disaster preparedness for pediatric dialysis patients and providers. We understand that some providers already have an education program for patients and families. The KCER Coalition wishes to strengthen existing programs and provide additional resources for those providers in need.
We would like you to participate on a small committee to evaluate the current need for pediatric dialysis disaster preparedness materials by evaluating a sample packet of information. These resources are a mix of dialysis and disaster related materials for children.
The KCER Coalition would appreciate any feedback you have relating to this and we encourage new ideas and the sharing of resources. We would like to host a teleconference to discuss these packets and new ideas.
List of resources
- Sesame Street Ready (English) ¡Preparémonos! (Spanish)
- Family Plan English Spanish
- Family Communication Plan Cards English Spanish
- Emergency information form for children with special needs
- Supplies Checklist English Spanish
- Home Fires English Spanish
- Floods English Spanish
- Tornado English Spanish
- Hurricanes English Spanish
- Thunderstorms English Spanish
- Escape (puzzle maze)
- Sparky coloring page
- Uh-oh's Game
- FEMA coloring pages
- Flu for kids
- Kidney Kids (www.kidneykids.ca)
- 30/30 Rule
- Professor Tinkermeister
- The Acorn Club
- High School Get a Plan
- Emergency Survival Program Activity Book for Kids! English Spanish
- American Society of Transplantation, Pediatric Patient Education Brochure
- Certificate of Achievement